Tuesday 11 December 2007

Skyrocketing forward in time

Unbelievable, P2 is almost over. As I'm studying Finance, Accounting and maybe later tonight, ehm this morning, ehm whatever, POM, I realize that tomorrow will be my last day of class in Fontainebleau for a while and maybe forever!!!?!

Wednesday we'll have a day off so we can study... but Thursday the P2 exams will start. This period has been insane. The amount of casework, group assignments, readings, and lectures has been huge and the pace has been outrageaous. I feel like if I'm piloting a rocket heading towards planet earth at Mach2, as I'm trying to aim it in the right direction and figure out how you're supposed to land the damned thing at the same time... no kidding folks, "this is your captain speaking, it's going to be a pretty hard landing... you better brace, say your hail mary's, and get ready for a magnetic welcome to gravity!"

On the other side of the tunnel though... there will be a few days to recover and say goodbye to the classmates who stay behind, a party to say goodbye to the graduating class, Christmas at home with family, New Year's eve in Bangkok, and then P3 and further in Singapore.

I'm so excited about my classes for P3:
- International Politics
- Macro Economics
- Strategies for Asia Pacific
- Negotiations
- Venture Opportunities and Business Models (VOBM)
- International Development Field Project

Today we had a heads up on the to be defined field projects. There are a few challenging opportunities for this elective to show what we learned and are capable of. The elective is actually a real project for a local NGO to help them with a current business opportunity or problem. From the reading I'm quite enthousiastic about a potential project for an agricultural cooperative in Uganda, where we may help by doing an analysis and a plan to try to improve the operations. Another project I'm quite interested in is in South India. Here we will create a business plan and an expansion strategy for an organisation that promotes self-help communities, and provides microfinance, focusing on women and families.

VOBM will be awesome and will be my introduction to venture spotting, an additional track I'm planning to learn more about for potential future opportunities. Not from a Private Equity analyst point of view, but maybe from the point of view of a potential manager who considers taking over a company to own and manage it.

From a career development perspective, I've talked to many classmates from different industries and I've decided to learn more about Oil&Gas. I believe that there may be many tremendously challenging opportunities in de Petrochemical sector, so I want to learn more about the upstream processes of exploration and drilling

More later...

No comments: