Monday 3 September 2007

My mountainbike

I love my bike. It is a matt black mountainbike, an authentic Cube. I bought it together with Omar because we both started mountainbiking. And I brought it with me to France because I heard and read that there are so many beautiful tracks in and around the Fontainebleau forest.

Today was the first day that I decided to take my bike out of the garage and cycle to Insead and then to the centre, just to warm up and get a bit in shape before exploring the VTT (velo tout terraine) tracks. When I arrived at Insead it was raining very hard and I had to park it outside, which I did not like very much. My bike is used to garages. There was hardly any place and I had to put my bike somewhere where I could not lock it very well. I went back to check on it three times through the rain and every time it was safe (but wet).

In the afternoon Omar and I decided to go to the centre to buy a phone and I jumped on my bike hoping to beat Omar with his car. And I did. I parked my bike, this time I made sure I locked the whole frame and went to the store. We could not find anything and decided to return home after only 5 minutes. I went outside to my bike, only to discover that it had no saddle anymore!!!

My beautiful bike, of which I am so proud, stood there and it felt like someone had disgraced it. I felt so angry, and sad. My saddle, on which I rode my first Bart Brentjens Challenge, gone. It was nice and black with blue and red on the back and it felt good right from the start. I cannot believe why some people do this, steal from other people. It is not about the money, someone took something away from me which meant something to me.

My bike is now in the garage again, and locked safely. I am going to buy a new saddle. And unfortunately I learned a new lesson: always strip my bike and take everything with me when I leave it locked somewhere.

"Robbers are punks and they suck!"

Voleurs, vouz devez tous avoir honte!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nee zeg, wat een tuig daar! Ik kan me voorstellen dat je je ogen niet geloofde toen je buiten kwam.

Veel plezier met alle Desperate Housewives Clubs! Zo te horen vermaak je je wel.

Liefs,
Marloes

Anonymous said...

would it be feasible to rely on biking for daily commute between a nice Chateau and INSEAD? heard it could be really inconvenient to not to drive if I were to stay at a chateau near to the beautiful Frechie countryside...
technically can't drive and would love not to be forced by circumstance to put myself at the driver seat :p