Thursday 27 September 2007

Steep learning curve

So how fast is an accelerated MBA?

A little more than a month ago, I did't know much more about accounting than the words debit and credit. For our Friday case, I need to give an advice to the investment community whether to buy, sell, or hold stock from Coca-Cola and why. If cold-called, I need to give a detailed analysis and advice in 90 seconds.

The case brings us back to 2005. Based on the Financial Statements, the 2004 Annual Report, articles from Fortune and Business Week magazines, and some market data, we should be in good enough shape to do a 5-forces analysis, and a credible Valuation of the company.

I'm glad that I'll have some time tomorrow morning to work on it. I just finished the readings, but have no idea where to start... this story will be updated soon!

By the way, Financial Accounting (believe it or not) is my favourite class. It's amazing how a good professor can really make you appreciate what he teaches you. Today was his best session, which makes it the best P1 session to date. The main reason is that many things came together in this lecture: financial statements, measurement ratios, valuation, management issues, purpose of companies, value creation... the whole lecture was wrapped around a vivid discussion over several provocative statements.

I hope that I understood enough to figure out the Coca-Cola valuation case tomorrow.

No comments: